Our blog hosts announcements and a weekly discussion topic. If you would like to get these in your email, sign up for our newsletter.
Monthly archives: May 2016
- Align your upper spine for long-term health
- Posted 09 May 2016
- As your awareness of your body grows more subtle, you become more aware of the shape of your spine, and you may notice that your head is not really where you thought it was, namely balancing on top of your spine. In the computer age, an overly rounded upper back combined with a slumped forward head position is quickly becoming a major health concern. It's not simply an aesthetic issue, and it is not just something affecting people over 60. In fact, these days it is not uncommon to see this postural misalignment, technically called hyperkyphosis, in people as young as 25 and younger.
- Do less, feel more
- Posted 16 May 2016
- To make up for last week’s rather lengthy theme, I’ll keep it short this time. There really isn’t much more to say than the title: Do less, feel more. It’s not about the difficulty or impressiveness of the poses you do, nor about how long you can hold them without hating them or collapsing into a heap of muscle spasms. It’s about how deeply you can get your whole being involved in each moment that you spend in each pose that you do.
- Finding the place in the middle — balancing Inner and Outer Spirals
- Posted 23 May 2016
- Alignment instructions tend to tell you in which direction to adjust yourself, but generally not how far to move, at least in part to keep things simple enough to understand easily.
- Letting your energy flow — Activating Muscular and Organic Energy
- Posted 30 May 2016
- Last week I focused on Inner and Outer Spiral, two of the five main Anusara alignment principles, so this week I will highlight the other major pair of Anusara alignment principles, Muscular and Organic Energy. Like Inner and Outer Spiral, these two principles are designed to work in tandem to bring you into a place of balance in the middle.