Our blog hosts announcements and a weekly discussion topic. If you would like to get these in your email, sign up for our newsletter.
Monthly archives: October 2016
- Stepping into courage with inversions
- Posted 10 Oct 2016
- In our lives off the mat, we rarely if ever go upside down, and it is natural that for many of us the idea of inversions causes some trepidation. However, inverted yoga poses have many positive effects on the body (and the mind), causing B.K.S. Iyengar to call headstand and shoulderstand the king and queen of yoga poses. Different inversion have specific benefits, but in general, they stimulate the endocrine and immune systems, improve digestion, and tend to have an energizing yet calming effect, while also increasing mental focus. In addition, the act of facing fears about going upside down in and of itself can have a hugely positive effect on your confidence and self-esteem.
- Balancing groundedness and lightness
- Posted 17 Oct 2016
- My approach to yoga places the balancing of opposites at the heart of the practice, because I believe that an emphasis on balance is key to maximizing the benefits of yoga. This week I want to focus on a specific pair of opposites, the feeling of being grounded, and the feeling of lightness.
- Disengaging inquiry from achievement
- Posted 24 Oct 2016
- Why practice difficult asanas, if the practice of yoga is to be something other than an ego-driven, goal-oriented endeavor? Because in the act of doing something we don't know how to do, we are forced to become more present in the moment, and gain an opportunity to break out of our habitual and unconscious patterns. However, the danger is that this worthwhile undertaking of increasing consciousness through the practice of new and challenging poses deteriorates into simply feeding our ego.
- Setting An Intention
- Posted 31 Oct 2016