Our blog hosts announcements and a weekly discussion topic. If you would like to get these in your email, sign up for our newsletter.
Monthly archives: May 2017
- Envisioning yoga as a gift
- Posted 01 May 2017
- Plenty of people practice yoga because they sense that it has the power to shift their perspective on life away from the ego-centric, achievement-oriented model that the modern world incessantly reinforces in us. But it is all too common to see yogis unconsciously bring this same model into their yoga practice, striving and struggling to "achieve” new poses, comparing their form with other students, and working so hard that they forget to breathe.
- Setting the Foundation
- Posted 07 May 2017
- Good alignment and balance in yoga poses depend on a solid foundation. In yoga, we consider the foundation to be whatever parts of the body are in contact with the ground (or with a prop on the floor such as a block). When engaging into any pose, we need to start by creating this contact consciously and by placing our body parts on the ground with precision and awareness. When we set our foundation with intention and good alignment, poses become stronger, but also more easeful, more balanced, and more free.
- Knee alignment
- Posted 15 May 2017
- Aligning the knees is an important step in bringing many yoga poses into balanced alignment. Moreover, proper placement of the knees is important to protect these rather delicate weight-bearing joints. Tightness in the hips limits the range of motion of the legs which makes many yoga poses challenging (think lotus pose). Since the hip joint is a stronger, better-protected joint than the knee, in poses where hip flexibility is insufficient, the knees will be compelled to provide the desired range of motion that the stronger hip joints are denying, causing the knee to move in ways in which it was not designed to move, and potentially damaging the knee.
- Generating joy
- Posted 22 May 2017
- Research has shown that happy emotions contribute to long-term wellbeing, at least in part by increasing our resilience in times of stress. But none of us wake up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed everyday. So how do you generate joy when you don't already feel joyful? One answer of course is yoga. :)
- August Montana retreat discount until May 31
- Posted 23 May 2017
- From now until May 31, "Bring a friend" discount for Gernot's yoga retreat at Feathered Pipe Ranch in Montana in August. $100 off for both of you. See the Feathered Pipe website for details.
- Lessons from a 2-year-old
- Posted 29 May 2017
- Do you like speed bumps? (Or speed humps, judder bars, sleeping policemen, depending on where you are from.) I didn't think you did. Who does? I used to dislike them like everyone, but then my two-year-old son taught me a lesson in acceptance.