Our blog hosts announcements and a weekly discussion topic. If you would like to get these in your email, sign up for our newsletter.
Monthly archives: January 2018
- Moving from attention to awareness
- Posted 01 Jan 2018
- Our minds have the tendency to be overly reactive, to zero in on what appears to be the most pressing thing at any given moment, to the exclusion of everything else. For survival in prehistoric times, such focussed attention was probably a healthy response. But to live mindfully (and thus to maximize happiness), it is best to minimize this tendency.
- Self-guided awareness
- Posted 08 Jan 2018
- Last week we worked on spreading awareness to all the parts of our bodies. This week we will focus on generating the sensitivity to guide your awareness to where you need it most. While there are many poses in which almost everyone benefits from the same alignment instructions (i.e., energize and lift the back thigh in high lunge), all our bodies are different, and sometimes that may mean that while an alignment instruction is right for most people in a given class, you may actually need to do the opposite.
- Envisioning yoga as a gift
- Posted 15 Jan 2018
- Plenty of people practice yoga because they sense that it has the power to shift their perspective on life away from the ego-centric, achievement-oriented model that the modern world incessantly reinforces in us. But it is all too common to see yogis unconsciously applying this same model to their yoga practice, striving and struggling to "achieve” new poses, comparing their hand position with other students, and working so hard that they forget to breathe.